Data Engineer (dunnhumby)
dunnhumby is the world’s leading customer science company. We analyse data and apply insights from nearly one billion shoppers across the globe to create personalised customer experiences in digital, mobile, and retail environments. Our strategic process, proprietary insights, and multichannel media capabilities build loyalty with customers to drive competitive advantage and sustained growth for clients. dunnhumby employs over 2,000 experts in offices throughout Europe, Asia, Africa, and the Americas and works with a prestigious group of companies including Tesco, Monoprix, Raley’s, Macy’s, Coca-Cola, Procter & Gamble, and PepsiCo. For more information, please visit us at www.dunnhumby.com.
dunnhumby are going through a large-scale technology renewal and transformation project with a focus on open source applications and cloud based hosting. Our developers are utilising progressive, innovative technologies that will help us to empower our business and will enable us to deliver unparalleled insight to our customers. As part of this transformation we are looking for highly experienced and enthusiastic Data Engineers with a detailed knowledge of Spark who can help to transition science, analytics, products and data onto the newest tech.
What you’ll be doing
- Writing Python or Scala code to analyse, transform and enrich data,
- Building a comprehensive suite of automated of functional and non-functional tests.
- Elaboration of requirements and stories for new features
- Working within and evangelising agile practices and environments (SCRUM or Kanban)
- Developing team best practices such as continuous improvement, integrate early
- Keen focus on Continuous Integration and Delivery best practices
- Lead and contribute to discussions within and external to the team
- Participate and manage code and design reviews
- Work well with other teams to enhance and improve their solutions
- Work within and improve an internal open source model
What we can offer Data Engineers
- Working with petabytes of data
- Chance to focus on developing solutions that operate over large data and reducing costs
- Helping dh Teams to modernise their skills
- Delivering large scale Python/Scala/Hadoop/Spark environments
- Working with Google Cloud Platform
- Working with Kubernetes and other key enabling technologies
- Working closely with, and learning from, a highly skilled team
- Working within an organisation that puts data and science at its core
- Experience of delivering value using Python/Scala and Spark
- Willingness to help others and promote best practice
- Ability to pick up the specifics of our environment quickly
- Ability to optimise code for performance and/or resource utilisation
- Ability to write clear guidelines / training / wiki material
- Self-starting – searching out where best to add value
- Attention to detail and robust quality testing
What dunnhumby offer
Our values underpin every aspect of our culture and are the force that drives us every day; curiosity, passion, courage and collaboration. We understand that as a company we are only as good as our people so you will have the opportunity to work with some of the brightest and best in the market. On top of this, we also offer:
- All dunnhumbians get plenty of learning and development opportunities, and we have a serious commitment to helping you take your career to the next level.
- We have a flexible health and wellness package offering; Private Healthcare, Denplan, Critical Illness and Life Cover insurances cover you should things go wrong but we also offer Health screenings, personal trainer, subsidised visits from masseuse and osteopath, and more to make it easy for you to keep healthy.
- We’re passionate about work, but we also understand about a whole lot more that than and so we offer flexible working, 25 days holiday per year, plus bank holidays and early finish Friday’s as well as lots more!
- On top of all of this we also have a Treat Yourself Allowance, Travel and Season Ticket Loans, a Cycle to Work Scheme, we match contributions to your Pension up to 4% and you can take any of your unspent benefits allowance in cash or your pension.
Job posted 9/18/2017