Software Designer – Big Data (HP Inc.)
HP’s Imaging and Printing Group (I&P) is a large contributor to the success of HP. It is an exciting blend of commercial and consumer products with strong market leadership around the globe. Within I&P, the Big Data organization contributes critically to business strategy, planning, and operations. In this context, the Big Data team actively supports these decision makers. Our advanced development and data analytics drive business results. Our strategy centers on expanding the acquisition of customer data from the deployed printer fleet and pairing it with other data sources such as census data and other government data, third-party customer data (e.g. Google Maps, Nielsen, IDC, GFK, etc.) as well as databases inside of HP to develop new actionable business insights.
Education and Experience Required:
Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, or equivalent.
Typically 6-10 years experience.
The candidate must also possess these key skills associated with “Big Data”:
- Experience or understanding of software applications design tools and languages such as Java, Python, Scala.
- Good analytical and problem solving skills.
- Understanding of design for software applications running on multiple platform types such as Linux or Windows.
- Understanding of basic testing, coding, and debugging procedures.
- Good written and verbal communication skills.
- Fluency in English.
- Demonstrated working knowledge of software engineering fundamentals.
- Ability to work and effectively interact with team members from other disciplines, projects, organizations, cultures and companies.
- Resourceful, creative and flexible.
- Bias to action.
- Ability to execute on given projects consistently.
- Provides domain-specific expertise and overall software applications leadership and perspective to cross-organization projects, programs, and activities.
- Drives innovation and integration of new technologies into projects and activities in the software applications design organization.
- Provides guidance and mentoring to less- experienced staff members.
- Mathematical reasoning; Competent in the interpretation of numeric data, understand and/or practice statistical principles.
- Data literacy: Finding and managing data, cleansing data, appropriately address extremes, outliers, etc., manipulating data.
- Ability to develop software at a tactical level, as well as the ability to communicate and implement the intended strategy of the application.
- Ability to perform operations on large datasets.
- Experience with Agile software development life-cycles with its principles, practices, strategies and tactics including continuous integration.
- Experience with data warehousing, dimensional modeling, Big Data solutions and ETL development is a plus.
Additional Software responsibilities may be applicable
- Develop Java libraries, Java methods, Scala and frameworks around an Apache Spark ecosystem, Databricks, and similar tools for data transformations on large data sets.
- Participate and build data acquisition and consumption strategies, ability to transform the strategies in to workable products.
- Experience in developing applications to execute in a Cloud environment.
- Work with teams resolving operational and performance related issues.
- Knowledge on shell scripting and SQL.
The Big Data organization depends on self-starters working in often ambiguous situations. HP I&P is a global business and the right candidate is expected to have the flexibility to bridge cultural differences and work across geographies and time zones.
Job posted 5/25/2017